Ibus: Chinese input not working in specific applications
This is a wiki page. Be bold and improve it!
If you have any questions about the content on this page, don't hesitate to open a new ticket and we'll do our best to assist you.
Ibus / Chinese input not working in specific applications
Requirements for ibus to work within KDE applications:
- The package ibus-qt should be installed.
- The package ibus-qt should be built against the proper qt library. This is relevant in distributions (like gentoo) which may ship with several qt libraries installed (e.g. qt4 and qt5). ibus-qt will only work within applications built for the same libraries as itself.
For Qt4 applications, install: app-i18n/ibus-qt.
For Qt5 applications, install: dev-qt/qtgui with the 'ibus' USE flag.
- Relevant environment variables must be set (e.g. QT5_IM_MODULE=ibus). See the main article: http://linux.overshoot.tv/wiki/chinese_input .
If everything appears to be properly configured, and ibus still does not work in KDE applications, try the following:
- Check that the environment settings are properly set:
$ echo $QT5_IM_MODULE
- Restart the daemon:
ibus-daemon -d -x -r -n kde
- Launch a new
konsolesession from the current one:
- If ibus still does not work, then go back to the top of this page and check your set up.
- If on the other hand ibus now works, it's because the
ibus-daemonwas not started or started too late during the start up of the KDE/Plasma session.
Try putting the configuration in ~/.xprofile.
Bug 650348 - app-i18n/imsettings-1.7.2 breaks app-i18n/ibus, app-i18n/fcitx, etc.
So if everything fails, check all the scripts run by X11 upon start-up.
List of some relevant bug reports.
Bug 34016 - Keyboard not working with ibus when using KDE4 integration
Bug 825067 - [kde] ibus fails in libreoffice-kde when window loses focus
ibus won't turn 'on' when in certain programs